Septum piercing goes through the fleshy tissue between the nostrils, making it stand out from the other facial piercings. Hence, it can be commonly seen on celebrities and punks who can effortlessly pull off a bold look. Similarly, nowadays, many young men and women are getting their septum pierced to follow mainstream trends.
If you are thinking about getting a septum piercing, here is all you need to know before getting it done.
How Is It Done?
After visiting your piercer or body artist, they will ask you to show your ID card, followed by some paperwork for registration and payment. Next, your piercer will ask you to lie on a bed or sit on a chair to disinfect your nostril area. Most piercers use a needle to drill a hole while holding your nostrils open with forceps. Once the jewelry is slipped into the piercing hole, the needle is pulled out, and voila! Your septum piercing is done!
Can Anyone Get One?
Yes! If you like septum piercings, you can get them whenever you want. However, in some cases, the septum does not have a thin fleshy tissue in front of the cartilage called columella, which serves as the perfect spot for septum piercings. Similarly, it may become thin or nonexistent in appearance, leading to a lot of pain and discomfort, delaying its healing process.
Useful Tips for Getting a Septum Piercing
Here is a list of tips you can follow to ensure a smooth piercing and healing process.
- Find a well-experienced professional piercer who knows how to do his job.
- Ensure that your piercer uses clean disposable gloves before starting the process.
- Keep an eye on the hygiene level of your piercer and the piercing tools. For example, see if your piercer uses a new needle and other equipment from sterile packaging.
- Ensure that your nostrils are disinfected properly before piercing the septum.
- If you are scared of needles, relax and take a deep breath! You can distract your mind by scrolling through social media or watching a funny video on Instagram to stay calm throughout the process.
- Ask your piercer or skin specialist to prescribe a skin ointment to speed up the healing process.
- Avoid twisting and playing with your new piercing.
- Do not change your jewelry until your piercing has healed completely.
- Use saline water solution to clean your septum piercing at least once a day.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with gentle soap and water before touching your piercing.
- Once you have cleaned your piercing area, use a dry cloth or a towel to absorb moisture from your skin and jewelry.
The key is to wait until your piercing takes its time to heal. Once healed, you can get your hands on trendy jewelry from Body Jewelry to jazz up your new septum piercing. From dangling rings to septum clickers, their online store has got all you need! So, grab your favorite septum jewelry now!