Body Piercing Allergies – Why They Occur and How to Prevent Them

Body Piercing Allergies

Body piercing is a form of body art that has been practiced for ages and doesn’t seem to be dying down any time soon. From the basic earlobe piercing to pierced tongues, nipples, and belly buttons, body piercing lovers can get as creative and wild as they like.

However, body piercing isn’t as risk-free as it may seem. While most people are only afraid of the pain that comes with piercing, there are other risks involved too.

Piercing allergies are not uncommon and can result in serious health issues. So, before going under the needle, you should know why they occur and how to prevent them.

What Causes Piercing Allergies?

Body piercings involve the insertion of metallic rings and barbells in the ears, nose, tongue, eyebrows, belly button, nipples, and more. These metals are considered a foreign substance by our body, which is why certain types of metals can trigger allergic reactions inside the body.

The allergic reactions may show in the form of eczema or rashes, blistering, burning, itching, excessive fluid secretion, abdominal cramps (especially associated with tongue piercings), etc.

Low-quality metallic jewelry, such as those made with sterling silver, contains high amounts of nickel. Nickel is a common cause of allergic reactions.

How to Prevent Piercing Allergies

Since allergic reactions are mostly due to exposure to harmful metals, you must always choose safe metals for piercing. Avoid the use of nickel and copper and alloys containing these metals, such as sterling silver. Stay away from buying cheap costume jewelry from novelty shops.

You should go for an experienced and reliable piercer and be sure to discuss what metals they offer. The safest metals to be used for piercings include titanium, 14 karat gold, surgical stainless steel, and niobium. These metals are expensive but it’s best to avoid taking any risks when your health is involved.

What to Do If an Allergic Reaction Occurs?

If you notice any symptoms of allergy after getting a piercing, remove the jewelry as soon as possible. If you are unable to do it yourself, visit your piercer to get it removed. Consult your physician and follow their advice regarding what medications to take.

Do not try re-piercing the area until you have fully recovered.

To Sum Up

While body piercings are a great way to express your unique style and personality, they should be done with care. If you wish to get a piercing, look for any certified piercing professional to avoid any risks. Secondly, you should always choose hypoallergenic metals for your piercings so that you don’t have to face any troubles later.